Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sorry to keep you Waiting..

As I said in the beginning, I knew that my posts would become a bit more sparse/difficult to keep up with at all (ha) as time went on.  I apologize for not getting to this sooner, but at least you can be certain I've been out and about experiencing amazing things, adding to my arsenal of stuff to write about.

I'm attempting to up-load a video that will explain itself when you watch it.

So, on to the news:  Time has taken on a new meaning for me here.  It seems there is a strange abundance of it, and in every minute of it, I find my self doing something enjoyable and I suppose most importantly, refreshing.  This past weekend I visited friends I had made earlier this summer (while on tour with Pointless) in Glasgow.  I attended a "Ceilidh" (look that up for a better definition) which celebrated the departure of Michael and Debbie Kane to Nazarene Seminary in Manchester.  The couple had grown up in Parkhead (a community on the East-side of Glasgow), and been involved with the church their whole lives.  This is a big step for them, and a creates a space at the Church/surrounding community in Parkhead that will definitely not go unnoticed by all of their friends and family members.  The celebration on Saturday night was great and an interesting cultural experience for me to say the least (videos will be posted on Facebook in the near future).

The next day (Sunday 9/13/09) I attended church at Sharpe Memorial Church of the Nazarene in Parkhead.  This of course is the place where none other than George Williamson's (Jr.) cousin, Ian Wills, is the pastor (not to mention, it seems that George is, in some way, shape or form, related to half of the church--in fact, his aunt Allison lent me just about all of my kitchen supplies for my time here).  During the evening service that night Mick and Deb were hono(u)red again for their time and service in Glasgow, and the sentiment was expressed by Ian, on behalf of the whole congregation, that they would definitely be missed, which even for me (a definite outsider) was somewhat of an emotional/touching experience.  Within the service that night as well, was a time of Praise and Worship Music (which was great and very refreshing), a message given by one of the younger leaders of the church, and time for specific time for just prayer (what a novel concept).

In my time to and from Glasgow and specifically while in Church, I felt something I can't quite explain (yes, this was very generic sounding and something which doesn't do much for anybody, I realize), something I've sort of thought about before, but never really psychologically unpacked, and something that perhaps captured again, this very theme of time; I, now ask myself the questions: What is it that I do with my time, and/or what can be done in the time that I have?  Something mentioned in the service was waiting.  What does it mean to wait?  What am I waiting for?  As a very proactive person, and perhaps as an American consumer, this is something I might struggle with.  We sang the song "Everlasting God", which contains the line (repeated over and over), "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord, we will wait...".  I think that in addition to strength, wisdom, assurance, peace, etc., are all things that come from God, and are all things that God wishes to give to all peoples in God's so perfect TIME.  It seems now that I can't help but feel compelled to attempt this new practice, this peculiar discipline of 'waiting', and  so, at the moment, and though I'm not sure what exactly 'waiting' will entail (contextually, ideologically, metaphysically..?), I'm quite content in doing exactly what it is: waiting to find out.  Lord knows I have plenty of time to do just that.

So with time in mind, I don't have to run, but I'm going to go do something else within the bountiful amount of this time stuff that I have; perhaps I'll go wait under a tree in the park or something akin to that..

Blessings,

Will

No comments:

Post a Comment