Saturday, September 26, 2009

I think the Byrds said it best..


The Seasons - Four, three month periods entitled Spring, Summer, Fall(Autumn) and Winter. Typically noted as containing different sorts of climate conditions and weather patterns than the prior/following season(s), and have direct effects on plant and animal activity/life cycle; actually do exist; are fairly well represented in my current geographical location.

Not to get stuck on the whole time concept, but it's amazing the obvious and more specifically perhaps not so obvious things that I notice because I actually have time to stop, look around, take a breath, and simply exist. This is more than me being aware of something as simple as the "four seasons" (which there are really only [possibly] two of in San Diego--a light fall/spring combo and a seemingly endless summer), and to the people here is something that goes by fairly unnoticed/de-facto. This feeling transcends seeing leaves on a tree change colors, or feeling the temperature begin to change and realize that I might actually have to wear more than just a t-shirt and light jacket, or even seeing a part of the world that is so foreign yet strangely familiar and welcoming at the same time. This is something for everyone, everywhere, any time--it's about taking time, that which has been given to us as a blessing, to every so often, pause and reflect on something that is outside of ourselves, outside of our immediate priorities, and outside of our desires: Time to be thankful for life, for the world and all that is in it, and for a God that truly loves us more than anything else in creation, and has made us the masters/stewards of the Earth, so that we might cherish it and it's contents, especially one another.

This idea segue-ways nicely into a thought I'd actually started developing a little while ago, but wanted to hold off on publishing it. After having written the last section in just these past moments, and realizing what a great context that sentiment provides for what now follows, I am glad that I decided to wait. I'm all about the flow you know? (haha)

Granted, it's not been very long since I left home, but it's amazing how much I'm beginning to learn here in Scotland (about all sorts of stuff). In particular, I feel as though I'm learning a good deal about commitment. Ironically enough, I'm doing so while not really being committed to anything. I think sometimes it's in the "space" and nothingness, that we (as people/humans/whatever) truly begin to understand/learn about the concepts and ideas that we struggle with the most in actual practice. In a practical and analogous situation, I find that often my musicianship improves the most when I actually stop playing/practicing non-stop, and simply take a break, wait, and listen. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I "may or may not" have the tendency to over commit myself at times, I can't seem to ever get into a romantic relationship that goes any distance, and I never seem to have enough hours in a day to get everything that I've wanted to get accomplished done. All this being said, I've definitely not discovered the miracle cure, or solution to any commitment (over or under) issues that I've had in the past, but I will say that my mind is beginning to clear in this "commitment-free" atmosphere, and perhaps, I will come home with a new found sense of what commitment really looks like (at least in my own life). On this more philosophical note, I can't help but interject with a funny and more light-hearted take on what it is I'm really experiencing: please go visit the following website and read entry #120. It will make you laugh and possibly undermine most of what I said above, but it's funny enough that I'm OK with that. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

also check out what I think the Byrds' said best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWg3b15ITS8&feature=related

Until my next philosophical break-through (or lack there of)

Cheers,

- Will

No comments:

Post a Comment