Saturday, December 19, 2009

Con Te Partiro


You'd of thought I'd studied in Italy or something...

The time has come. Time for me to come home. Home to 30 degrees warmer (average), home to burritos and horchata, home to freeways that I now understand to be insanely efficient, home to the Pacific, home to my hometown, home to my friends and family, and finally, HOME to where my heart is. Though I would certainly say that a part of my heart (and all that other 'mushy-talk' stuff) has been here in Scotland (and will forever be), I know exactly now, more so than ever before, where it is that I belong.

I'm thankful that I've had such an incredible opportunity to travel half way around the world and live in a different country, do new and exciting things, and meet some absolutely amazing people. It's also been nice to sort of pause in life, and escape the sort of 'grind' I had found myself in back home. I'm sure that I will come back home with a new found appreciation for all of the wonderful things that surround me, and really have surrounded me for my entire life. This has been an exciting, developmental, and edifying chapter of my life, and is one that I will never forget.

To all of the absolutely wonderful people I've met here in the U.K. - Thank you for all that you have taught me. Thank you for loving me and looking out for me. Thank you for keeping me accountable and for witnessing the Gospel of Love to me simultaneously. Thank you for our many laughs and hilarious situations. Thank you most of all for accepting 'me for me', while still influencing me to continue grow as both an individual and a member of our amazing world community. I won't name names, but I love you all, and am so thankful to have walked along side of you in life.

To all of my friends and family back home - I don't quite know how to quantify or even qualify the ways in which I might have developed or changed, but I'm sure (and I hope) that in our future interactions you will know me to still be the Will(iam) Shine (son, nephew, cousin, and friend) that you've always known, but I would hope that you will also see growth and positive development in my character, spirituality, and love for all of you. I need say nothing more than, I'M SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED TO BE COMING BACK!

There are a million and one songs that come to mind for moments like these but Lord knows quoting cheesy song lyrics (similar to how I did in the title of this post) only frustrates people.

I will however, leave you with a link to the song that, for me, captures my sentiments (in this moment) best - (listen to 'Home In This Direction') http://www.myspace.com/derrenraser

Cheers,

- Will

No comments:

Post a Comment